Attention social media enthusiasts! Brace yourselves for the latest sensation hitting the online world: UGC TikTok. If you’ve been keeping an eye on the trends, you’ve likely noticed the surge in user-generated content sponsorship. Join us as we explore the ins and outs of this exciting phenomenon and its implications for us, and determine whether it’s a perfect fit for your brand. Don’t miss out on this wave of UGC TikTok – it’s time to dive in and make the most of this new opportunity!
Table of Contents
What is UGC on TikTok?
UGC TikTok, which stands for User Generated Content TikTok, is a new category of brand sponsorships. It refers to any type of video content created by your current customers or creators showcasing your brand.
While user-generated content (UGC) is present on various social media platforms, there are notable differences between UGC on TikTok and other platforms. Here are a few key distinctions:
- Creative Format: The short-form video or carousels on TikTok encourages users to showcase their creativity through engaging visual storytelling, incorporating music, effects, filters, and transitions. In contrast, UGC on other platforms like Instagram or Facebook may include a broader range of content formats, such as photos, text posts, and longer videos.
- Virality and Discoverability: TikTok Algorithm is unique, which emphasizes discoverability and the potential for UGC to go viral. The “For You” page shows content to users based on their interests and engagement patterns, even from creators they don’t follow. This enables UGC to rapidly gain exposure and reach a broad audience. UGC may rely more on followers, hashtags, or specific community interactions for visibility on other platforms.
- Trend Culture: UGC TikTok often revolves around TikTok Trends such as branded hashtag challenges, trending sounds, and hashtags, with users adding their unique spin or interpretation. This trend-focused nature creates a sense of community and encourages collaboration among TikTok users. Other platforms may also have trends, but TikTok’s fast-paced and highly participatory trend culture sets it apart.
- Authenticity and Relatability: TikTok’s UGC often embraces authenticity, relatability, and spontaneity. Users feel comfortable sharing unfiltered, real-life moments, personal experiences, and genuine emotions. TikTok’s casual and less polished aesthetic contributes to its appeal. On other platforms, UGC may be more curated or focused on presenting a polished image.
What does UGC look like?
Similar to paid sponsorship, UGC (User-Generated Content) comes in various forms, such as images, videos, reviews, testimonials, and even podcasts. What sets UGC apart is that it is original content specific to a brand, created by customers, loyalists, or employees. Paid sponsorships, on the other hand, involve influencers or creators producing content for compensation, often without direct affiliation to the brands. This distinction is crucial as UGC represents a modern-day form of word-of-mouth marketing.
According to Hootsuite, UGC is typically submitted to businesses without an obligation for creators to share it on their own channels. In contrast, with traditionally paid sponsorships, creators must post on their own channels, as part of what the brand pays for is access to the creator’s audience.
Why brands should sponsor TikTok UGC?
In this list, Mega Digital has highlighted the key reasons why it’s high time for you to begin promoting UGC on TikTok.
Build trust with the audience
Establishing trust is a crucial initial step in making a mark in communities like TikTok. It is essential to provide potential audiences with a compelling reason to engage with your brand and place their trust in you. This is where UGC becomes highly influential, showcasing individuals similar to your target audience on TikTok, and capturing their attention from the outset.
Over 90% of consumers trust brands that incorporate UGC into their marketing campaigns. By leveraging UGC, you can foster trust, enhance brand credibility, and connect with your audience on a deeper level.
Raise brand awareness more authentically
Utilizing UGC on TikTok offers a valuable opportunity to genuinely enhance brand visibility. One of the key advantages is the ability to reach a wider audience, including those who may not be receptive to traditional advertisements or promotions.
This is due to the spontaneous nature of TikTok users and the platform’s emphasis on hyper-personalized content tailored to individual interests, both personal and professional.
For instance, let’s consider the Ordinary, one of the best brands on TikTok in the Cosmetic industry. While directly targeting the desired audience through the brand’s TikTok account, they also collaborate with creators to generate UGC for the brand, increasing the likelihood of reaching users who are genuinely interested in purchasing beauty products.
Promote customers to make a purchase
As UGC TikTok videos originate from real users rather than brands, they have a higher likelihood of driving purchases. When it comes to making their first-time purchase, as many as 70% of consumers consider UGC reviews as a crucial factor. Furthermore, an overwhelming 93% of customers find user-generated content to be extremely valuable in helping them make informed decisions when it comes to buying a product.
Create a stronger emotional impact
UGC videos on TikTok have a superior capacity to emotionally engage the audience when compared to content produced by brands. According to Real Eyes report, TikTok UGC videos boast an encoding score 10 times higher than traditional ads and 4.7 times higher than Facebook ads. This stark difference implies a higher probability of cultivating a favorable brand image and influencing consumers’ purchasing choices. Additionally, UGC has the potential to generate word-of-mouth marketing, as individuals are inclined to share positive brand experiences with their social circles.
Is UGC TikTok the right choice for Content Creators?
Determining if UGC is the right fit for you depends on several factors. Here are a few reasons why UGC could be an excellent opportunity for monetization:
A small yet highly engaged audience
You can still benefit from UGC even if you have a smaller following. Brands will often utilize their own platforms or ads to amplify your content, meaning your follower count isn’t a limiting factor.
The type of content you prefer creating
UGC content tends to be more straightforward and authentic, such as unboxing videos, product tutorials, or reviews. It allows you to showcase your day-to-day experiences genuinely. You have the freedom to write your own script without the pressure of extensive editing to meet brand requirements.
Genuine product enthusiasm
UGC is a natural fit if you are a genuine fan of the product and incorporate it regularly into your lifestyle. Your authentic endorsement and personal connection to the product will resonate with your audience and enhance the effectiveness of your content.
4 UGC methods on TikTok
There are various types of UGC methods on TikTok, each offering distinct advantages to help brands achieve their objectives. To assist you in determining the most suitable approach for your upcoming campaign, check out 4 types of creatives in our list below!
Branded Hashtag Challenges
Branded hashtag challenges are the most prevalent form of UGC method on TikTok. They allow brands to sponsor a hashtag and initiate a challenge that encourages users to engage in activities associated with the hashtag. Branded hashtag challenges can be used for different purposes, such as campaigns during specific events, seasons, or holidays or to promote brand slogans or new product launches.
People love being part of global trends, and when brands start a challenge, they encourage users to create UGC that aligns with the challenge theme. This approach generates engagement, organic reach, and a comprehensive option that brands can repost on their accounts, fostering customer connections and promoting their products.
Due to the viral nature of TikTok, UGC giveaway campaigns are highly effective for reaching a larger audience organically. To run a successful giveaway, it is important to establish clear campaign objectives and goals. This includes:
- Creating a compelling hashtag and determining the criteria for participants to join in
- Offering desirable prizes is essential to attract TikTok users
- Communicating the guidelines, rules, and method of choosing the winner to ensure transparency from the start.
For Mega Digital, duets are a promising form of UGC on TikTok, allowing users to create a creative version of an original video alongside it. Brands can collaborate with influencers in their niche, requesting them to design a duet involving the brand and inviting their audience to participate and share their duets. This can create impressive duet chains and viral trends, providing brand exposure and engagement. When done subtly, duets can be more effective than traditional advertisements.
How-to videos are popular on TikTok due to the platform’s short video format that provides information quickly and concisely. Brands can utilize tutorials to demonstrate product usage effectively, showcasing the value and benefits of their offerings. This approach helps to persuade potential customers that the product is worth purchasing.
How to create a UGC campaign on TikTok
Creating a UGC campaign on TikTok can be a valuable opportunity for brands to engage their target audience and boost brand awareness and sales. To kick-start a successful UGC campaign on TikTok, follow these steps:
- Know your audience: Understand what your audience loves about your brand and how to effectively engage with them.
- Set clear goals: Define the main objective of your campaign, whether it’s reaching new customers, promoting new products, or driving sales.
- Choose a UGC method: Select the UGC method that aligns with your campaign goals. For example, challenges are great for increasing brand awareness, while how-to videos can drive product sales.
- Create a hashtag for your brand: Develop a clear and catchy hashtag representing your campaign and encourage users to participate.
- Collaborate with TikTok influencers: Partner with influencers with relevant audiences and an understanding of TikTok strategies. Micro-influencers can be effective in engaging your target audience.
- Repurpose user-generated content: Make the most of the UGC generated during the campaign. Repurpose the content by embedding TikTok videos on your website or using them in social ads. Utilizing UGC can enhance user experience, increase time spent on your website, and boost sales.
By following these steps, brands can leverage the power of UGC TikTok to connect with their audience, increase brand loyalty, and drive meaningful results.
TikTok UGC examples of brands
Chipotle – #ChipotleLidFlip
Chipotle, known for its popularity among millennials and Gen Z, launched the #ChipotleLidFlip TikTok challenge in collaboration with popular content creator David Dobrik. The challenge prompted users to film themselves skillfully flipping a burrito bowl while incorporating their unique style and flair.
Recap: The challenge involved flipping the lid of a Chipotle bowl creatively.
- The hashtag #ChipotleLidFlip has garnered an impressive 345.9 million views on TikTok (as of 22 June 2023).
- Chipotle’s TikTok campaign proved to be immensely successful, driving a substantial surge in app downloads and delivery orders, particularly among the Gen Z demographic.
Samsung Galaxy A – #danceAwesome
Samsung launched the #danceAwesome campaign to promote the Samsung Galaxy A series and involved collaborations with TikTok influencers.
Recap: TikTok users were invited to showcase their dance skills and highlight the benefits of Samsung Galaxy A to a custom song that Blackpink performed.
- Received nearly 5 million user-generated content pieces and more than 21 billion views on TikTok, each highlighting the benefits of Samsung Galaxy A.
- Generated a notable increase of 15% in purchase intent and a significant rise of 35% in favor.
E.l.f Cosmetics – #EyesLipsFace
E.l.f Cosmetics, a prominent player in the beauty industry, expertly harnessed UGC TikTok potential through their #EyesLipsFace challenge.
Recap: Participants were encouraged to showcase their dance moves to the music “Eyes.Lips.Face.” for a chance to win elf cosmetics, makeup, and skincare products valued at $250.
- Rose to #2 favored beauty brand among teenagers, based on Piper Sandler’s Semi-Annual Teen Survey, indicating its strong popularity among Gen Z.
- Accumulated more than 10 billion views and generated close to 7 million user-created videos on TikTok.
FAQs about UGC TikTok
Are influencers essential for TikTok UGC campaigns?
Actually, it is optional to collaborate with influencers to launch a UGC campaign on TikTok. While partnering with TikTok influencers can be an effective way to spread the word about your campaign quickly, you can also reach out to content creators by using the right strategies.
Is payment required to obtain UGC TikTok?
Not. The whole concept of a UGC TikTok campaign is to obtain organic content from users who willingly choose to participate. However, if you decide to collaborate with influencers to promote your campaign, you will need to offer them a paid partnership.
To conclude, TikTok UGC campaigns have emerged as a game-changer for brands seeking to engage with their audience in a meaningful and authentic way. By encouraging users to create and share content related to their brand, businesses can ignite a wave of creativity, generate buzz, and solidify their presence on TikTok. So, seize the opportunity, embrace UGC, and unlock the power of TikTok for your brand’s success. Besides, you should explore the world of TikTok SEO techniques to enhance your visibility on the platform.